1. A Warning For Everyone To See:

PT vs. OT vs. ST vs. Anthology (in any combination) debates are not allowed in the New Movies forums. Discussions that descend into OT/PT/ST/Anthology bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Consider this your warning.
  2. Episode 8

Speculation Rey's Lineage/Parentage/Cloneage Thread of Redundant Repeated Repetitive Miserableness

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi & IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is...

Luke Skywalker's daughter 230 vote(s) 39.3%
Han and Leia's daughter 50 vote(s) 8.5%
A Kenobi 83 vote(s) 14.2%
A random girl 107 vote(s) 18.3%
A Tusken REYder 21 vote(s) 3.6%
Other 94 vote(s) 16.1%
  1. 2Cleva Jedi Grand Master

star 4

I agree that the main character should be family. Interesting you put it that way when debating Skywalker vs Solo. One side looks at the tie in TFA with the people who she came in contact with the Solos (Han, Leia, Kylo) however the overarching part of those interactions was about Luke.

- Han was taking her to the Resistance because she had the map to Luke.
    - Leia met her and sent her off to Luke.
    - Kylo wanted the map of Luke from her, then wanted the Luke's lightsaber from her.

Even with the Solos, it was all about Luke. Not to mention Maz pushing her towards Luke. Even the Force Vision was about Luke.

I don't know. The Skywalker family is front and foremost story. The galaxy is in the background. Space adventure series of the Skywalkers.
    Last edited by 2Cleva, May 19, 2017
  2. The Regular Mustache Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah I stand corrected. BUT! What if Ben Solo had an older brother that we don't know about and he's Rey's dad?
  3. Knessa84 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not sure how Han and Leia could have had a child prior to Ben? That would be 6 years or so older than Ben? They were only together for about 2 years when Ben was born. Han would have had to had a child with another woman. Or Leia would have had a teen pregnancy with another man. Which makes Leia a teen pregnancy and then her son having another teen pregnancy. Not seeing Disney going with that theme?
    Last edited by Knessa84, May 19, 2017
    oncafar likes this.
  4. JoJoPenelli Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If a trilogy was billed as the "Thor Saga" and "about Thor's family," I believe moviegoers would expect 1. Thir to be the protagonist and 2. to see either Thor's blood relations or the people Thor grew up with as an adopted family. Not sure people would buy a "oh, by 'family' we mean really really close friends," or "By 'Thor Saga' we mean Thir's a major character but some other unrelated person is the protagonist." I guess either could be the case, but I'd still be surprised that the movies were billed that way.

I expect Disney/Lucasfilm has a firmer handle on audience psychology/expectations than I do, though :p I expect that however the ST turns out, I'll end up with a lot fewer questions than I do now.
  5. The Regular Mustache Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe Han and Leia had a kid back in the OT and they hid it from everybody.
  6. Knessa84 Jedi Master

star 4

That kid would still only be 4 years older than Ben. So he had Rey at 14?
  7. JoJoPenelli Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Can't imagine Disney/Lucasfilm would endorse a "child out of wedlock" scenario."

Which, incidently, could complicate a "Luke had a secret kid" scenario.
  8. oncafar Jedi Master

star 4
    i don't think the main character needs to be family. i like the idea of the movie starting out with luke's student-to-be, and how she finds him far away on an island on a mysterious world. usually in these stories of seeking the mysterious mythic master on the mountain the student doesn't also discover that she's related to him, and i don't see why she must. luke is passing on what he knows. he already passed to ben solo, and likely shared with leia whatever she would accept (her interests didn't center there), but inside the family the knowledge is trapped. luke might even know this and is choosing to keep it to himself, that it will die with him, and there will be no more jedi. but then a new student comes along, and he changes his mind (if he has no reason to do so, it seems the war is coming to ahch-to anyway--circumstances are not on his side). luke is a teacher. that's what he was doing before and he wasn't just teaching his family. and to take it up again is what he needs.
    Last edited by oncafar, May 19, 2017
  9. The Regular Mustache Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright, alright. Kylo Ren nor his hypothetical older brother are Rey's father. That's two theories down and ten zillion more to go!

Side note: A lot of hubbub was made about that Japanese poster proclaiming something about a huge shocking surprise in TLJ. Yeah...remember when the powers that be were talking up the big surprises that were supposed to happen at Celebration and the big surprise was that the cast of Star Wars showed up with the dude that created Star Wars? What a shocker that was!
  10. Dark Horse Jedi Master

star 4
  11. oncafar Jedi Master

star 4
    although i'm too lazy to try to find it, i think what @Artoo-Dion said earlier about how if kylo can't possess the lightsaber then he can possess rey who possesses the lightsaber, might be how to run the cousin story. kylo is unreachable by his blood family (they've all tried), so the cousin story wouldn't be about how now this long lost family member can reach kylo because she's family (at least not directly). to kylo her significance would entirely be that she is the granddaughter of darth vader. and he's been working hard trying to "finish what grandfather started" and it hasn't been going so great so far, and perhaps rey's appearance would tell him that the reason he's been struggling/failing is because he's not meant to do it alone. so she can keep the lightsaber, it's hers as much as his (or it is more hers, as it was luke's and not leia's). but from his narcissistic pov, she's there to realize vader's vision just as he is. along the way, as things become increasingly personal between them, especially given how important family is to rey, it could knock him out of his delusions.

it would kind of be another "i'm related to you, JOIN ME" story though. however, the new angle would be that rey would be much more interested in who anakin skywalker was than what he did after he became darth vader. as much as kylo is aware of the anakin/vader story, he doesn't seem to have connected with anakin skywalker, even though he wants his old lightsaber.

also btw the way to me that the lightsaber was anakin's is significant symbolically in kylo not being able to get his hands on it. he chose darth vader over anakin, a false self over a true one. so calling out to anakin's saber as though it is vader's is like calling out to someone by the wrong name (a name they won't answer to).
    Last edited by oncafar, May 19, 2017
  12. IncessantRamblings Jedi Knight

star 3
    [face_laugh] This is sounding like one of those after school specials!!!
  13. jedijax Force Ghost

star 6
    Why? If Luke had a wife and she was thought to be killed or left without Luke even knowing she was pregnant?
  14. JoJoPenelli Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Possible. But I imagine Han, Leia, and Kylo would be aware of that situation. Which they might be? It just seems to add complexity to the scenario. I'd love it to be the scenario, but nothing we know thus far about 8 gives me reason to think this is likely. I've decided to go Occam's Razor until I get more info. Trying not to delude myself :p
  15. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, it's exactly the opposite for me. I sincerely hope that Rey is Luke's daughter. That would be exciting for me. It's "where all the sparkles are for me that make MY brain light up". ( love that turn of phrase by the way! ) It would make sense in the greater story; tie all the trilogies together perfectly; give us another skywalker protagonist for the future; give us an heroic female skywalker Jedi ; and provide plenty of stories both between RotJ and TFA, and in the future. Plus, it gives us a satisfying ending to the skywalker story if they choose to go away from the skywalker family as the focus after this SKYWALKER saga is finished.
    Last edited by ChildOfWinds, May 19, 2017
  16. The Regular Mustache Jedi Master

star 4
    If Rey is a random how do you all think that's going to be revealed? Will it be revealed that Luke or one of the other characters knew her parents? Will it be a Forceback? Is Rey an unreliable narrator and she knew the entire time who her parents were?

We know that Luke asks Rey who she is but I doubt Rey's going to say, "Oh thanks for asking. I'm Rey Smith from planet Rando. My parents are Bill and Joan Smith." I'm guessing she'll give Luke a none answer like, "just somebody trying to help out".
  17. Luke02 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I figure out this morning while driving to work. It isn't Rey Skywalker, Rey Solo, Rey Kenobi, or even Rey Nobody. It's "Rey Stussy!" :D

[IMG]
  18. jedijax Force Ghost

star 6
    They wouldn't be aware if even Luke didn't know. Even if he did, to keep it a secret he may have hidden that fact.

For any scenario there can be a way-out story or a simpler one. For the simple ones

(1) Luke: Luke either thinks his family was killed or wife was killed without Luke knowing she was pregnant.
    (2) Han/Leia (this one is more difficult): They won't discuss or didn't have to discuss the other lost child. Conversation off screen.
    (3) Random: pretty much any explanation could work here BUT there's that connection that needs to be put into place. Rey was rescued from her own family by someone she THINKS is her family, her parents were Luke's students, her parents were evil.

Complicated description. She was kidnapped by space pirates and sold to Unkar Plutt in exchange for something else because she was 'special' and, well who knows what else.
  19. jujukane Jedi Padawan

star 1
    I firmly believe Kylo is Rey's "father", albeit not in a literal but metaphorical, mystical sense.
  20. Roosterq Jedi Youngling

star 1
    1. Rey Solo: It doesn't work on any level for me, because of the abandonment angle, and the fact NO ONE! acknowledged her as a part of the Solo family.
    2. Rey Skywalker: This ONLY works for me if Luke never knew she existed. The abandonment thing again kills this and doesn't mesh even remotely with ROTJ Luke.
    3. Rey Random, is problematic, because the Skywalker family line is broken, and the "adoption" angle just doesn't work. Her natural force ability would be a genetic think which isn't passed on through adoption.
    4. Rey (Evil former Sith name): These don't work simply due to the lack of family associated with the Sith. Also most other Sith were Non human and Rey appears to be fully human.
    5. Rey Kenobi: I feel this would be too forced, and the lack of even a hint in the movies that Obi Wan had any sort of romantic relationship not only makes this problematic, but it would require too much in the way of explaining 2 generations of a lost family connection.
    I suppose my Only Hope (see what I did there) would be if she is the daughter Luke never knew he had. It would fit his look on Arch-to as she would likely have a strong resemblance to his former romantic interest, and his look of shock and confusion would then make sense.
  21. ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight

star 2
    You do realize that you dont have to be related to have a strong connection to the Force, right?
    Birkendoc likes this.
  22. JoJoPenelli Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @jedijax

I'm trying to talk myself off the ledge, you know!!! Lol

@Roosterq

I agree re if Luke's her dad. Daisy's physical resemblence to Natalie Portman has been remarked upon, but I dunno if that was just based off of a few specific photos or not.
  23. oncafar Jedi Master

star 4
    @ChildOfWinds - and there you have it. people are different and they like different things.
    TK327 likes this.
  24. What Girl Jedi Knight

star 3
    I realize you're mocking Rey Random by taking it to the extent of her having absolutely no connection to the plot whatsoever so that it looks as ridiculous as possible. For me, random simply means that she is not related by blood to anyone we've met in TFA, and I think her parents were indeed onboard that ship that we see departing in the Force vision. I believe it was no accident or coincidence that she was abandoned on Jakku of all places, and that it happens to be the last stop for ships heading for the Beyond. I think that is where her parents went, and I would not be surprised to learn that they did not survive the journey. I'm in fact anticipating a rather deep and profound plot for Rey Unrelated, I expect her background to be nothing less than intriguing, and I can see the writers coming up with a very satisfying explanation that ties Rey and her origins to the very heart of the story.
  25. TK327 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think it would be interesting if Rey's family were somehow involved with Snoke before the FO arose. Perhaps there was a parallel struggle between the light and the dark in the beyond, and Rey's family were involved with that. Maybe they were trying to prevent Snoke from escaping from the beyond? Perhaps they wanted to get Rey out of the beyond and had no choice but to leave her on Jakku before hastily returning to their fight against Snoke? As crappy as Jakku was, maybe it was better than life in the beyond.

Maybe this has all been speculated before? :)
    Last edited by TK327, May 19, 2017